New England Wool was founded in July 1990
when two major Italian Spinning and Weaving enterprises, Successori Reda Spa and Vitale Barberis Canonico Spa, decided they would like to form a company in Australia to source wool to service their particular needs. The Company was also required to provide a communication conduit between the Italian shareholders and woolgrowers in all wool producing countries.
New England Wool initially operated only in New South Wales and in its first season employed only one person and purchased approximately 5000 bales of wool for the shareholders. New England Wool now purchases and is represented in all states of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. The Company employs six full time staff and purchases approximately 35,000/45,000 bales per annum for the Italian shareholders and associated companies. New England Wool has consistently been the largest buyer of “Spinner” and “Best” type/style superfine wools (18.5u and finer) in the Australian and New Zealand markets. With the support of Reda and Barberis, New England Wool has also helped to create higher returns to producers of best style, sound wools in South Africa.
The objectives of the company include
- Support and encourage the professional superfine woolgrower.
- Provide a superior and consistent raw product to the Italian shareholders.
- Establish and maintain strong communication links with superfine woolgrowers and associated groups.
- Provide advice and feedback on Clip Preparation requirements of our customers, as well as market trends and other relevant information to maximise returns for the woolgrower.
- Supply a professional, cost effective export service for Italian customers.
New England Wool purchases the majority of its requirements via the traditional auction systems of New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. Although the auction system is our preferred method of wool procurement, the Company is also active in purchasing by “contract” or “direct” from growers/merchants or any methods of transfer that exist in the market from time to time. New England Wool would like to have the opportunity to compete on every bale of wool that is suitable to the needs of the Company’s shareholders and clients.